This is one topic a lot of us tend to shy away from. Just mentioning the word ‘’feces’’ amongst some folks causes them to raise an eye brow.In basic science,we know that feces are by-product of undigested food materials after digestion has taken place. Hence, Defecation is normal,In fact not defecating at all is a big issue.it’s called constipation.
The stool is around 75% water and 25% combination of fibre,dead & living bacteria, different cells and mucus.The normal stool is usually smooth, soft, elongated with medium brown colour.Since your poop can tell us about your health.
Here’s a handy stool chart – the Bristol Stool Scale – developed by Dr. Ken Heaton in Bristol, England and first published in 1997. It is designed to classify the various forms of human stools into several categories.
1.Sausage-shaped poop, smooth, and soft-This kind of poop is normal and it’s common among people who defecate once in a day
2.Blobby stool with sharp edges– This is seen in people who defecate few times daily after meals
3.Fluffy poop with ragged and torn edges-This stool has a soft texture and it may be a potential sign of high blood pressure and stress.
4.Diarrhea type of stool-This poop is similar to ordinary diarrhea; however, it happens in conjunction with constipation. Depending on the odor and color, this type of poop may be showing that the body is suffering from some disease or condition.
5.Black or ‘’Blood-like’’ stool-This poop is a sign of bleeding in the gastroinstestinal bleeding(GIT).
6.Pale brown or white stool-This may be a symptom of hepatitis, cirrhosis, or pancreatic disease.Also,it could be as a result of not deworming.
7.Watery, no solid pieces, entirely liquid
Causes of unpleasant smell of poop
- Infection of the intestine: Commonly known as gastroenteritis, intestinal infections are commonly caused by bacteria, parasites or viruses. Some organisms that cause foul-smelling stools are Escherichia coli, Salmonella,Drinking contaminated water and food, respectively, usually leads to this.
- Malabsorption: Malabsorption refers to the abnormal absorption of nutrient from the small intestine. This condition can be caused by celiac disease, gastrointestinal infection .
- Inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.
What do i do to get a normal poop?
- For those having difficulty stooling even for days : drink or take plenty for water…I mean plenty of water
- Take fruits and foods rich in fibre
- Supplement with Magnesium.Magnesium is also a natural muscle relaxer which can help to stop cramping in the gut and abdomen
Hence don’t be quick to flush,why not take a peep and considered your wellbeing.
Did you know that when you say the word “poop”, your mouth does the same motion as your bum hole?
The same is true for the phrase, “explosive diarrhoea”
Quiz Time !
What’s brown and sounds like a bell ?